4.10 star(s) 20 Votes

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Cannibalistic halfling tribes? Different genre and media but now I'm thinking those little creatures in Galaxy Quest, eating their injured.

Quite the thought out world there and I assume we aren't going to see some of it.

No mention of Naga, and now we have three of them in the party.
Rielle and Lilmina do like some fresh meat in their mouths now and then...

>.> Sorry couldn't resist.

You will see some. Granted, forest is a forest, lots of trees, bushes and rocks. But there are plans, and while we do return to the Empire to close some loose threads relatively soon. There is at least one more trip out of it, if not two. So there are parts of the world that gets to be seen. What we see during those trips? Now that depends where the story leads. maybe a bunch of cannibalistic halfings? Or maybe something even more weirder and stranger.

Assuming I can make the weirder and stranger things >.>

At least this group of the Naga's are part of the Sultanate, technically it's more Caliphate since Sultan is subservient to Calpih (equielevant of emperor while Sultan is more or less a King). Are there more different kind of Naga cultures? Yes, there is an island full of them in more matriarchal society... and now I remembered that I forgot to add a god the codex. Meh, making a note for 0.15.

Reactions: Horny Toad

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Cannibal halflings are actually one of the things people fear in Dark Sun setting of D&D. They dominate the very rare jungles of Athas.

e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
Cannibal halflings are actually one of the things people fear in Dark Sun setting of D&D. They dominate the very rare jungles of Athas.
Not precisely halflings, but in Elder Scrolls lore the little manlet Bosmer wood elves are (mostly) cannibals - back in their home province anyway.

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
Well if you are not a halfling you don't have to worry then!
Unless you can breed with them producing sexually viable offspring in which case they will be a sub species and cannibalism is back on the table.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Unless you can breed with them producing sexually viable offspring in which case they will be a sub species and cannibalism is back on the table.
In this case cannibal is referring to them eating any sentient humanoid that isn't part of their tribes/clans. It's quite common use in fantasy. And technically most races in D&D can produce offsprings with humans, especially if magic is involved.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Well, they weren't exactly picky about the definition of cannibalism...

But in DnD (and in the world of ToaM) they are able to produce offspring that are fertile and being able to reproduce.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Well, they weren't exactly picky about the definition of cannibalism...

But in DnD (and in the world of ToaM) they are able to produce offspring that are fertile and being able to reproduce.
Only human and another race offsprings in D&D, that i can remember that can't reproduce, are Muls in Dark Sun. Who are made with help of magic by having dwarven male slave breed human female slave.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Only human and another race offsprings in D&D, that i can remember that can't reproduce, are Muls in Dark Sun. Who are made with help of magic by having dwarven male slave breed human female slave.
Aye. But DnD has been pushing humans to be superior to the other races (racial level cap and class restrictions ahoy!). But, it also had more "practical" reasons than favouritism. DnD had minis (figures), and back in the day it was expensive to make them. So limiting what they had to make, they restricted the combinations (Human, elf, halfing, dwarf, gnome etc) and any half-breed with humans could easily just be one of the base races just painted slightly differently and that's it. Now half-elf-halfling? Yeah... or Half-Dwarf-Orc? It just would have been too expensive for them to make all the combinations with potentially minimal gains. Nowadays with 3d printers? The cost would be negligible but it has stayed mostly for traditions sake.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Aye. But DnD has been pushing humans to be superior to the other races (racial level cap and class restrictions ahoy!). But, it also had more "practical" reasons than favouritism. DnD had minis (figures), and back in the day it was expensive to make them. So limiting what they had to make, they restricted the combinations (Human, elf, halfing, dwarf, gnome etc) and any half-breed with humans could easily just be one of the base races just painted slightly differently and that's it. Now half-elf-halfling? Yeah... or Half-Dwarf-Orc? It just would have been too expensive for them to make all the combinations with potentially minimal gains. Nowadays with 3d printers? The cost would be negligible but it has stayed mostly for traditions sake.
In latest editions they actually got rid off half- prefix and instead made it so that you choose if your character has parentage of different species. Also humans weren't really superior in many senses, with other races getting innate bonuses and more stats, unless you got into really high level campaigns about fate of the world. Since the level caps were quite high for most humanoid races. In 2e AD&D other races could go above the level cap, but it was some what more expensive after the cap than it would be for human. Also other races got multi-classing and humans were stuck with dual-classing, in 2e it was that multi-class characters would choose their classes from the start, for example cleric-mage. As for dual-classing, humans could change their class when they decided to do so, keeping the levels and skills etc... from the first class, but would lose experience from the session if they used any of the old classes benefits, until they leveled the new class to at least same level as the old class was. Theoretically human could have all 5 archetype classes as dual-classed character, warrior, thief, mage, cleric and psionic, but they would need to have extremely high stats, since to dual class all of the primary stats for the second class would have to be over 16 and in 2e rising your stats is extremely hard.

Edit. Basically humans are the versatile race that can be anything, but in most cases other races can easily outshine humans in most classes if you choose the class based on stats the race gains.

Last edited:

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
In latest editions they actually got rid off half- prefix and instead made it so that you choose if your character has parentage of different species. Also humans weren't really superior in many senses, with other races getting innate bonuses and more stats, unless you got into really high level campaigns about fate of the world. Since the level caps were quite high for most humanoid races. In 2e AD&D other races could go above the level cap, but it was some what more expensive after the cap than it would be for human. Also other races got multi-classing and humans were stuck with dual-classing, in 2e it was that multi-class characters would choose their classes from the start, for example cleric-mage. As for dual-classing, humans could change their class when they decided to do so, keeping the levels and skills etc... from the first class, but would lose experience from the session if they used any of the old classes benefits, until they leveled the new class to at least same level as the old class was. Theoretically human could have all 5 archetype classes as dual-classed character, warrior, thief, mage, cleric and psionic, but they would need to have extremely high stats, since to dual class all of the primary stats for the second class would have to be over 16 and in 2e rising your stats is extremely hard.
But wasn't the slower and extra advancement for non-humans an optional rule? I fairly well recall that Elven mage couldn't go past level 15 with the basic rules to "balance" things? It was partially made so people would have a reason to play humans instead of demi-humans. But then again, that would have been an issue with unflexible GM only, and you kind of wanted to avoid them. And frankly, from my experience, if someone wanted to play as human they would regardless of what benefits or hinderances you would pile on them. And same went with demi-humans. So personally the "restrictions never made" sense.

But yeah haven't really kept up to date with it in... decades as is. I know what the current edition is and I know somewhat what is happening with the worlds but beyond that I rather make my own stuff >.> Anyway going bit too much off-topic as is =P And thus to stay on topic:

The halfling cannibals in ToaM are more desert folk than jungle. Simply because in a jungle there is plenty game so outside of cultural reasons there wouldn't be any need for it. In desert environment where sources are scarce cannibalism makes more sense. Meat is meat when you need it... that was bit grim but point.

DarkOs31

Apr 28, 2020
Update 13 had a lot of spelling errors,was it at your end or was it cuz of shaddys mod?
Don't get me wrong,i don't care about the errors ,just wanted to let you know ;)

Horny Toad

May 23, 2019
But wasn't the slower and extra advancement for non-humans an optional rule? I fairly well recall that Elven mage couldn't go past level 15 with the basic rules to "balance" things? It was partially made so people would have a reason to play humans instead of demi-humans. But then again, that would have been an issue with unflexible GM only, and you kind of wanted to avoid them. And frankly, from my experience, if someone wanted to play as human they would regardless of what benefits or hinderances you would pile on them. And same went with demi-humans. So personally the "restrictions never made" sense.

But yeah haven't really kept up to date with it in... decades as is. I know what the current edition is and I know somewhat what is happening with the worlds but beyond that I rather make my own stuff >.> Anyway going bit too much off-topic as is =P And thus to stay on topic:

The halfling cannibals in ToaM are more desert folk than jungle. Simply because in a jungle there is plenty game so outside of cultural reasons there wouldn't be any need for it. In desert environment where sources are scarce cannibalism makes more sense. Meat is meat when you need it... that was bit grim but point.
1715742993657.png

4.10 star(s) 20 Votes